Friday, November 20, 2009

Host Monster and Host Gator Problems-Can Bad Hosting Companies Get Better?

It has been a long time since I looked into hosting companies and switching trademark names (domains) etc….Since I am less than thrilled with what a couple of fairly “respectable companies” have done to me over the course of the last few days, I thought perhaps I could warn folks about a couple of companies doing business.

My main domain name is hosted with Hostgator.com. (Fortunately, this site is not the main domain). A few days ago I thought I would try to upgrade this wordpress blog and followed the instructions from “unnamed guy” to the tee. My 2+ year blog vanished. I asked Hostgator if they could fix it and they said they could with an additional 15.00 charge (which I have paid before). On top of the 10.00 or so a month I currently pay. I snapped. (but did eventually pay them in hopes of getting it back, saving it as one should and moving on). However, I was less than thrilled, so…….

I did some host shopping.

Everything I saw pointed to Host Monster being a very good company. Many sites had them in the top 5, while most had them in the top 3. Hostgator on the other hand, was usually not in the top “mix” at all. (usually because they were too expensive…hmmm and I was happy with them for 2+ years…money was not, and is not an issue). It was the principle that mattered to me….Silly me.

I decided to take a big chance. Poor decision. I paid for a year’s hosting at Host Monster and attempted to move the domain over. HostMonster is ZERO HELP in this. Do not try to transfer an existing domain to Host Monster. It will not happen. But wait, it kind of does. When you change the nameservers they do go ahead and make your site “worthlessly parked.” Thanks!

Hostgator on the other hand, refused to release an EPP code necessary to fully transfer the site over to Host Monster. Yes, I’m seeing gators and monsters as evil things to say the least. Host Gator doesn’t themselves host the onequartlow.com (I know it still doesn't work..LOL) site as they claim, but a popular company called ENOM does this for them. Try to contact this outfit. Just try.

I decided in the sake of “up-time” to cancel the new host and change the name servers back to the Host Gator folks….LOL…Yeah… Host Monster all of a sudden could not verify my existence. They needed me to prove I was who I claimed to be by giving them the last 4 of my password or cc. I gave them my whole password and the Paypal receipt (they say they never received). I have filed complaints about both companies and will take this as far as I can. To be held hostage is not ok. This is my experience. These folks need to be accountable for their business practices and actions like the rest of us. They don’t get to hide behind somebody else’s issues (or the customers). I acknowledge full well being a novice (even after many years) in this industry. However, all the customer support on both sides of the coin dried up when both saw me as a “problem” or “disgruntled.” Not so much when they were taking my money. They were super fast and super sweet. Why is it there is NEVER an issue with them taking your money? It’s always seamless. Yet asking for it back…..all of a sudden you are ghost-like…

Hmmmm.

Is there any question why so many of these companies exist today? Here’s your Uncle Tommy advice for the day.

Don’t play with the top 3-10 hosting companies as found on the internet. Even the independent sites I looked at are now looking a little less than “independent.” Don’t pay a year’s worth in advance (though it is always the best deal). Always pay a month at a time at the front. If after some time, it’s working for you then upgrade to a year or more package. If you can find a hosting company that does NOT have somebody making money in promoting them….JUMP at it, and please email me immediately if it works out…I’ll pay YOU.

This has been an ongoing issue for many years. Unfortunately, it remains shady and to say the least, an issue.

oql-logo-big-l

No comments:

Post a Comment